Tuesday, February 3, 2009

About...


The Recipes Through the Generations blog has a large collection of delicious recipes from many sources. These recipes often evoke memories of favorite family get-togethers and memories of special family members. We often use family recipes to entertain guests during the holidays and celebrate special events such as graduations, weddings, and birthdays. There are many people in my family that love to cook or eat. (I don't particularly love cooking, but I love eating!)
My Grandma Elsalee (Lolly), my Great-Grandparents, and my Great Aunts loved to cook and shared their recipes with each other. And my Grandma Millie (my dad's mom) and my Sister-In-Laws love to cook/bake.
My Grandma Lolly (My mom's mom) recorded her recipes, other family members' recipes, and her friends' recipes in a small reddish brown notebook. The recipes were hand-written on notebook paper or typed out on index cards by family, friends, and artsy colleagues of my Grandpa Reggie and Grandma Lolly. Other recipes were clipped from newspapers, magazines, and food boxes. The blog will include my Grandma Millie's recipes for cakes, cookies, frostings, meatloaf, Thanksgiving sweet potatoes, Passover matzah ball soup and latkes. I'll include family photos/a scanned copy of the hand-written recipes to compliment the recipes' authors. I'll also post photos of holiday and other family get-togethers on the site. The blog will include my friends' recipes and recipes I may find on the net. I'll provide links to favorite chefs, cooking/family recipe blogs, or cooking show websites. I decided to create this blog to make all these recipes easily accessible to everyone else in the extended family and to record family history. Check back often to see what's new on the site. My hope is that those who visit will enjoy cooking the recipes and possibly pass on the recipes through the generations. You may submit a favorite recipe of your own. And if you are brave and try out a recipe and you like it, please post a comment and let everyone know!
~ Deborah

1 comment: